Topics

The Power of the Cross: 66th Edition, February 10, 2019

Welcome to the new subscribers just joining us.

We publish once per week on Sunday. The newsletter shares testimonies from Setting Captives Free students. We hope you will find the newsletter helpful and encouraging.

This week we have two testimonies to share with you; one from our brand new weight loss course (as of January 2019), and one from the purity course:

Jodi's testimony: Set Free to Focus on Jesus

I have completed the Setting Captives Free Weight Loss course; I lost 15 pounds the last time I checked. (I only weigh once a month to avoid losing my focus on the Lord.) My clothes are looser, and I have enough energy to walk each night with my dog now.

I have a long way to go, but I really feel that the Lord has made lifelong changes in me now. One of the best changes is that God is delivering me from my obsession with food. I finally feel like I'm not buried underneath this stronghold of eating excess food anymore! As I keep my focus on Jesus and fill up on His Word, I find that the food just does not call to me as much anymore. Food used to be more important to me than following God, but not anymore!

This Bible study has helped me greatly; I feel closer to the Lord than I have in years! Now that I am not spending my time thinking about food, diets, weight, my body aka myself, I have so much more time to spend getting to know my Lord. I have become so grateful for all He did for me on the cross and in my life, and I want to abandon anything that is getting in the middle of my relationship with Him! I spend most of my spare time now when I'm not with my family, soaking in His Presence by prayer, reading my Bible, doing Bible studies, and reading helpful Christian books. All these things are making me fall in love with Jesus even more.

I am so thankful to not have to spend all my time focused on food and diets. Just eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full and go on with my day. Now when I do feel a little bit annoyed with having to wait until I am hungry to eat, I just remind myself how much Jesus suffered on the cross for me and that we are called to suffer too! I used to just gloss over that part in the Bible, but now I have such a greater understanding of how we as believers are called to suffer. I am blessed that I don't have to suffer anywhere near what our brothers and sisters in some other countries have to suffer, and I'm not suffering anywhere near what Jesus had to suffer on the cross all because of me! I am determined with the Holy Spirit's help to never let food control me again!

I have recommended this course to all my friends. It is wonderful, it helped me keep my focus on Jesus. It was encouraging and not condemning. Anyone can have a changed life through Jesus Christ! Praise God!

-----------------------------

Gerard writes, "Like many I was raised in a Christian household. And like many I was exposed to pornography in my teenage years. For years I looked at pornographic material and when I discovered masturbation I truly fell into slavery to impurity.

As I look back to these years I can see that my slavery went deeper and deeper every year and for around 10 years I have been sinning against God and His will for me and my life. For years I was in bondage to my habitual sin and believed many lies from this world.

But a part of me always knew the truth. Every time in church I knew that my life was not like God wanted it to be and that I was living in sin. For many times I tried to get out and to stop. But I was never successful and I always fell back into sin after a few days.

But this changed when I got a girlfriend. We were having a good relationship but I still carried this secret from her with me. I tried even harder to stop, but I still fell back into sin every time. I did not know how to stop because the devil had me deep in bondage.

I really wanted to be free from my bondage before my marriage so I eventually confessed my involvement to sin. She was of course hurt and tears were shed but this eventually led me Setting Captives Free.

I almost cannot believe the amount of change God has brought me through this course. In the last months He has revealed His love for me and showed me the true meaning of the cross.

I thought I knew the gospel but now I see it’s true strength like never before. Jesus has died for me and took my sins with Him on the cross. My sins are dead and buried with Him, never to be looked at again. The darkness is defeated and I can life in the light of my Saviour. I am truly free!

He has brought me healing and restored my relationship with my girlfriend. We are going to be married later this year. He broke my chains to my habitual sin and have no desire to return to my old ways.

No, I am not perfect and I still stumble from time to time. But I can always go to the cross for everything I need. I am forgiven and set free. I am no longer a slave to fear or sin, I am a child of God.

Friend if you find you are in agreement with the mission of Setting Captives Free, would you please consider helping us to continue reaching hearts and lives with the gospel? Please pray for us and consider setting up a monthly donation of any amount. https://settingcaptivesfree.com/donate