The Power of the Cross

Mike Cleveland

The Power of the Cross: 203rd Edition, October 24, 2021

The audio version of this newsletter can be found here.

----------

I’m excited to share with you and invite you to join the newest Setting Captives Free study, “Living and Growing in the Gospel - A Study of 1 Corinthians.”

If you want to sink the roots of your faith deep into God’s Word, be built up and strengthened in your faith, then discipleship is the way. And that’s the very reason we are writing this course and inviting you to study through it with us. It takes just ten minutes a day, five days per week.

The way to find the course on the Setting Captives Free website is to click on the menu icon in the top left corner of the homepage. Next, click on “All Core Courses” and scroll down to “Discipleship courses,” and you’ll see “Living and Growing in the Gospel - A Study of 1 Corinthians” or simply click here. There is also a leadership guide in development for those who want to lead a small group.

We are beginning this study together; we hope you will join us. We will be discussing our weekly studies through Marco Polo as well.

The title for the study, “Living and Growing in the Gospel,” is inspired by Colossians 2:6-8:

“So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, 7 rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.”

This passage encourages us to live and grow in the gospel: to sink our roots deep into Christ (through study, prayer, and involvement in your local church/interaction with others), to be built up and strengthened in the faith as you were taught.

That phrase "as you were taught" begs the question: what did Paul teach? He taught the gospel and how to apply it to every area of life.

Believers need to live and grow in the gospel. We have put faith in Jesus by believing in his death on the cross for our sins and His resurrection on the third day; now, we want to live and grow in the message of the cross, to sink roots into it and grow tall and strong in it.

And what will be the result? We will overflow with thankfulness!

As you see your Savior becoming the Man of Sorrows for you, the sight will fill you with sorrowful joy! As you hear how to apply the message of the cross to a particular sin struggle, you will have hope and understanding of how to change and will overflow with thankfulness for His bleeding and dying for you. And as you see how Paul took Old Testament passages and ran to the cross with them, you'll overflow with thankfulness for the Bible, such a rich treasure of stories that point to the cross and strengthen your faith.

So come and let's study 1 Corinthians together. The course is open now. Go to settingcaptivesfree.com, click on the dropdown menu item, click on "All Core Courses," and scroll to discipleship courses, where you'll see "Living and Growing in the Gospel - A Study of 1 Corinthians". Or click here.

And if you want to take part in our Marco Polo groups where we will interact around the study, you can join the appropriate groups through the links below:

Join the Men's Marco Polo Discussion Group
Join the Women's Marco Polo Discussion Group.

I look forward to interacting with you around the life-giving, growth-producing Book of First Corinthians.

Friend, if you find you agree with the mission of Setting Captives Free, to see the gospel of Jesus Christ change hearts and lives, would you please consider helping us to continue reaching people with the gospel? Please pray for us, and would you consider setting up a monthly tax-deductible donation of any amount? www.settingcaptivesfree.com/donate. Thank you in advance.