The Power of the Cross: 86th Edition, June 30, 2019

Guilt and weakness, the two go together. When we have guilt for sin we have no power to overcome. This is why human programs are powerless to change our hearts and set us free from habitual sin. They leave us in our guilt, therefore we are powerless to overcome.

You know what it’s like right? You sense your guilt before God, that you’ve fallen short, that you’ve offended a holy and righteous God. And you feel as though you can’t escape it, that nothing you could ever do could make up for your sin. And you despair, and you feel hopeless and it leads right back to more sin. Guilt=power of sin.

Before the Bible speaks about overcoming sin in Romans 6, it first talks about what happened when we were powerless under guilt:

Romans 5:6-8 (NIV) You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Ah, that’s how you're set free: Jesus died to remove your guilt, and in so doing He broke the power of cancelled sin, and set the captive free. We have double power at the cross of Christ, power that crucified guilt and power that cleanses us from sin: the result is, we are free!

All because Jesus became your guilt offering!

Isaiah 53:10 (ESV) Yet it was the will of the Lord to crush him;
he has put him to grief;
when his soul makes an offering for guilt,
he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days;
the will of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

Carla writes, "Since taking the Setting Captives Free Weight Loss course, I feel like I am now experiencing a greater level of freedom than I ever have before. Weight loss and healthy eating were a preoccupation of mine, but now I no longer feel controlled by it. Now, I eat what I want when I am hungry. I listen to my body and eat foods that make me feel healthy and strong, and I hear God speaking His love over me in the process. I feel so much gratitude and joy in Christ and how He has worked in my life!

These past 30 lessons have been especially amazing because I’ve been walking this journey with my husband, and I see huge changes in him (both physically and spiritually)!

When I started this course, I had about 15 lbs to lose, and I’m still in the process to reach my goal, but my clothes are looser, I’m more confident, and I feel great! I am so thankful for freedom through Christ!"

Her husband, Kenny wrote, "I would say that the most significant spiritual change I experienced while taking the Setting Captives Free Weight Loss course is that I now see the value in putting this struggle with weight, food, and health in the hands of Jesus.
In the past, I fought through my issues with food on my own almost as if I was hiding it from God. Physically, I was already so far from where I started (350 lbs), but before taking this course, I have never felt freedom from my addiction to food.

This course has helped me IMMENSELY, and I have such great hope that I have never experienced in this area of bondage. I have lost about 28 pounds (I weigh 220 lbs currently), and I completely agree that this process has taken all of the EFFORT out and simplified things to make space for healing and progress.”

Join main@SettingCaptivesFree.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.